Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gallo Roman tour through Perigueux

Last Saturday we finally got a break from the rain so Kyle and I decided to go out and explore the sites and history of our little town. The first landmark on our map was the Vesunna Temple--a pagan temple constructed in the 2nd century A.D.!  All that is left now is a tower called the "cella", the sacred part where only the priest could enter to worship.












Next was the Barriere Castle--built in the 12th century--which hasn't been restored since being destroyed in 1575.                    








The picture above shows what is left of the inside of the castle. You aren't allowed to go inside so I had to take it from an open window. I don't know what it is about castles that I love so much, maybe it's the history...they are just so fascinating.




Everything here is so beautiful and it's even better with all the fall colors. We went to a public garden called "Les Arenes" (The Ruins) and I immediately fell in love with this place. First of all, the garden is surrounded by archeological remains of an Amphitheatre from the 1st century A.D. that could hold 20,000 spectators--there to watch the Roman Games. Later, during the Middle Ages, it became a stronghold and now a public park. It was pretty incredible to to see part of the structure that is left and to imagine what victories/tragedies happened in that arena and the 20,000 people cheering and such. Now, there is a playground, a water fountain, lots of benches and trails to explore--I know I will want to come back here often just to relax and read.

























The ground is covered with leaves everywhere right now. I was so proud of myself because I remembered the name of this yellow leaf I have pictured off to the right (thank you Mr. Shuler and AP Biology). This Ginkgo biloba tree shed all of its gorgeous yellow leaves blanketing everything below it. Looks sort of like it snowed...I love fall time!


1 comment:

  1. I love the comment about remembering the leaf name. Gingko Biloba is used herbaly for memory!:) These pictures are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete