Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kyle is legal!

Last week l'OFII  (Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration) finally called Kyle in for his medical exam. About freaking time. We leave in one month and this exam is supposed to happen within the first two months you are living in France. It is an absolute MUST to get the medical exam done and if you miss your appointment you're pretty much toast. I got called in back in January but wasn't able to go--long story--but I had legitimate proof and they let me reschedule but I still haven't been sent a letter telling me when to come in. I'm secretly hoping I can just fly under the radar because 1) we're leaving the country in 1 month and 2) my exam costs 350 euros plus a 20 euro train ticket. Cross your fingers! I tell you what, France is expensive. And the paperwork is so inefficient, it's a nightmare. If you want to get a taste of how it is, read this post. You can't help but cry and then laugh at the whole process of becoming legal here. Don't get me wrong though, I love France... Just not all of it.

The exam took about 20 minutes and Kyle left with a little souvenir...chest x-rays, yay! I'm kind of jealous now that I don't have any.


Since we had a mandatory appointment in Bordeaux (an hour and a half from Perigueux) we decided to take a mini vacation and explore the city. We went back in November to see the new Harry Potter film in Enlgish, but it was only a half day trip, not nearly enough time to soak it all up. Plus it's finally spring here and the weather was for-mi-dable (amazing in French). Get ready, here comes lots of pictures.





Mollat is a Librarie (bookstore) in Bordeaux that is huge. They have rooms dedicated to just one subject. It was super cool being a book-lover and all. I've fallen for these French recipe books and I think I just might have to splurge before leaving and buy a few...





This arch was part of the defense that surrounded the entire centre ville back in the day


Whoa, KFC made it into France



Trying to get creative with our pictures


Cute...






Best part of our trip was almost getting locked in the Musee D'Aquitaine. We didn't realize the time and all of the sudden lights just started turning off. We then ran into a lady and she apologized saying everybody was gone...

I definitely have mixed feelings leaving in a little over a month. I'm looking forward to spending time with family and friends. I miss Mexican food. I miss my job. But I know I will miss France and all its charm too. I will miss the feeling of "did that just really come out of my mouth and they understood me?". So cool. I secretly hope that Kyle gets accepted to the International Law Program he wants so we'll be able to move back for another year. At least then I'll be prepared for all the paperwork and not stress about it.

Last night Kyle came down with a pretty bad sore throat so today I made him stay home from church. I was so proud of myself for going without him. I spoke French and managed everything on my own. Everyone kept telling me how much I've progressed in the language and it made me feel real good. I will miss our sweet little sometimes nonfunctional branch here in Perigueux. It has been the first real ward that we've felt apart of and I've learned so so much. 

Well mesdames and messieurs, I must get back to pampering my husband while he's sick and make him a cup of infusion.

1 comment:

  1. Ariel you cant be the one to write that a kissing picture of you guys is cute, that is the commentators jobs. CUTE!!!!! love it all.

    ReplyDelete