Saturday, April 9, 2011

Le weekend. Did you know the French stole our phrase "the weekend"?



The weather over here has been extremely kind to us. It reached at least 70 degrees everyday. We're glad it's super nice outside because Kyle and I are trying to soak up Perigueux as much as we can. On Friday we took an afternoon walk along the voie verte. I wanted to show him the horses and the springtime goodness the trail has to offer. And it didn't disappoint. My favorite part--a momma duck and her nine ducklings swimming around the lily pads in the l'isle (the river here is called "the island"). Afterwards we went to the grocery store and bought some ice cream to celebrate Kyle's 171 on the practice LSAT he took that morning. I'm so proud of him! He's been studying everyday since December and the test is June 6th. I know all his hard work will surely pay off. After ice cream we had a karoke night. Isn't this awesome of us? We take turns choosing our favorite songs and then sing them together. It's my new favorite activity to do together. I love that no matter what I do with my best friend, it's so fun. Even if we're just singing songs and being silly.

Today we headed out to Samedi sports (sports Saturday) and played basketball and volleyball with the missionaries, some members and investigators. Sadly, this was our last Samedi sports because the next two weeks we'll be out of town with my parents. My favorite part about sports is when someone is picking the teams, they make sure to get Kyle and I on the same team because they think that we can't be apart. I love it! After sports, lunch and a quick shower we headed off to the Vesuna Museum--the last one on our list to visit in Perigueux. C'etait formidable! We practically had the place to ourselves. The Vesuna Museum is built around an excavation site where they found ruins from the Roman Gallo time period (1st, 2nd and 3rd centuries) of a "domus" which is like the equivalent of a modern day villa. Can you believe that? The 1st century was when Christ was on the Earth. It was incredible to look at all of the artifacts and stonework and think that Jesus Christ was around at the time these were made. It's cool because they have built a floor that is raised above the site so you can look down into the ruins and see the layout and what the different rooms were used for.


Safety pins. Didn't ever think they were that ancient.


Check out the date here. Between 20 before Christ (BC) and 80 after Christ (AD). 



Mosaics and murals they found on the walls after being covered up for almost 2000 years.


This giant rectangle was a fountain in a garden which was the center of the villa.


After exploring the Vesuna we headed back to chez nous, ate dinner and then prepared our lessons for church. I write mine out in French all by myself! But then Kyle goes over and makes some or a lot changes. 

Hope you all are having a fantastic weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment