Monday, January 17, 2011

Galette des Rois

Some friends invited us over for dinner this evening. We had such a lovely time! They are English assistants at a different high school in Perigueux, so for me it was nice because I could understand the whole conversation. It's nice to hear the English language every once in awhile...

The food was delicious but I wanted to post particularly about the dessert we had. It's called une galette des rois (king's cake). First of all this special dessert is made only in January and it's a pretty big tradition in France. It seems like everywhere I go- the grocery store, boulangerie, patisserie--you can buy these cakes that come with a cardboard crown (kind of like the one you get at burger king on your birthday). In every cake there is a little toy baked inside and whoever gets the piece of cake with the toy gets to be king for the day. Kind of exciting, n'est-ce pas (am I right)? Unfortunately, my piece didn't have the toy but the best part was the anticipation. Haha, sometimes I feel like I'm still a little kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment