Monday, January 3, 2011

What's for dinner?

Mmmm, mushroom chicken soup. My mom sent me this recipe and I thought I would share because it's one of our favorites now. I added rice to the recipe tonight. That's what I love about cooking; you can add or subtract anything you want.

 Mushroom Chicken Soup


1/2 cup chopped onion (I used red for color)
1 large carrot sliced 
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp pepper
6 cups water with 2 chicken buillion cubes dissolved 
1 ½ cups diced cooked chicken
1 can mushroom stems and pieces, drained or
5 large fresh mushrooms (which is what I used)
3/4 cup rice
1 can evaporated milk or 1 cup half and half ( I used some sort of cream for soup I found here in France)

In a large pan sauce pan, sauté onion and carrot & (mushrooms if using fresh) in oil until tender. Add the pepper. Gradually add broth.  Bring to a boil over medium heat; add rice if you are using it at this point. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Reduce heat; stir in chicken, mushrooms (if using canned) and milk.  Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is done. 
Yields: 6 servings


Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment