Saturday, January 22, 2011

Just laying around...

Dang frenchies got me sick. I came down with a sore throat two days ago and now I feel like I've been hit by a train. Just laying around for the last couple of days is killing me! So to pass my time lying on our couch (well actually it's an extra dorm bed) I started watching French cartoons. Did you know they have Garfield here? Plus Pink Panther, Ninja Turtles, Tom and Jerry (this one doesn't have words so I can understand everything!) and Dora the Explorer bless her heart. She's teaching me English. I love it! I think my favorite part about this cartoon channel though is the commercials. Here are some examples:

Pour bien grandir, manger au moins cinq fruits et légumes par jour. (To grow well, eat at least five fruits and vegetables a day)
Pour bien grandir, évite de grignoter la journée. (To grow well, avoid snacking during the day)
Pour être en forme, ne mange pas trop de sucré, de gras ou de salé. (To be in good shape, don't eat too many sugary, fatty or salty foods)

High five to the government for these little gems (although I don't think the kids watching these sort of shows really care...). What's even more awesome is when they advertise for a cereal that is 99% sugar they write out a warning at the bottom of the tv in small text "eat at least five fruits and vegetables a day". It took me completely by surprise and I kept reading thinking they were going to warn about possible side effects too, you know like those commercials for a new drug on the market. While we're on the topic of warnings, all of the cigarette boxes here have huge warnings like "smoking kills"or "smoking can seriously harm your health and those around you", ect. It's the law here where companies have to place the warning on half the box in a big font. Interesting how 95% of high school (and junior high I might add) students smoke despite the bluntness.


Here is the window I've been looking out all day long. It's 35 degrees outside. I'm ready for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment