Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Le Kebab




Before coming to France, Kyle raved about the "french fry sandwich with white sauce" (le kebab). He ate this sandwich all the time on his mission because they are fairly inexpensive (at least compared to the rest of the French cuisine here). Arabs are the ones usually to run the kebab shop and the shops are everywhere. The restaurant we ate at today was called Carthage which we thought was pretty funny. Unfortunately Perigueux doesn't have as good of kebab sandwich as other cities in France--or that's what I hear from Kyle...


It is made with lamb meat, lettuce, tomato, cheese, white sauce (I really don't know what it is) and fries stuffed in a type of panini bread. There is a leg of lamb roasting at the front of the shop (I am so sad I didn't get a picture) and they just shave the meat off the leg in front of you for your sandwich. Pretty cool and pretty delicious.



3 comments:

  1. This looks very similar to some food we have had in New York, also prepared by middle-eastern (Arab?) people. Here they call it Halal food, but it is lamb served in pita bread with lettuce, tomato and white sauce (tzatziki sauce). I wonder if it's the same basic thing? Anyway, looks interesting and yummy! I would love to go to France and try all the different foods there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure france is like this, too, but everywhere we went in spain there were stores with legs of animals hanging from the ceiling. i believe that most of them were ham, though - not lamb. they kinda grossed me out! you're such a trooper for trying all the foods. i can't say i was as open to foods when we went to spain...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I bet it is the same thing. Next time I'm in New York I'll have to try it and see...

    Christine, I thought that there would be meat hanging in the boucherie (meat store) but I haven't seen that yet. When I traveled to Bolivia they had meat hanging everywhere out in the open. Pretty gross--it was hard for me to try new food there. Here they have meat sitting in a cold glass compartment (kind of like when you are looking at ice cream flavors) and you choose which kind and how much you want and they cut it for you. I feel safe eating food here, they are pretty conscious of sanitation. I haven't got sick from food yet! Cross my fingers...

    ReplyDelete